Saturday 25 June 2011

menagerie of animals

I am currently intensely jealous of my pets. I find myself watching my cavoodle for insider tips as she bends easily into the 'downward facing dog' pose approximately ten times a day.  I have never really noticed before, however now I am constantly moving into this pose in my classes, I find myself watching her, almost willing her to move into this position. She always obliges and I am starting to think she is simply showing off her skills. My fat cat (my husband prefers the term big boned), usually not an animal you would study for physical movement, even has the 'cat pose' down pat. In my limited experience cat pose is usually linked to cow pose in yoga classes and if you have seen my cat, I like to think this is no coincidence. Way back in India, animals were observed in nature, noted for their particular abilities and accomplishments. To imitate these qualities was considered a high sign of spiritual enlightenment. Whilst practising yoga, you are required to 'be' an animal - some other poses I am currently learning are - supported pigeon pose, crow pose, scorpion pose and even frog pose. I find these names reassuring and often pretend I am a cow in a paddock or a scorpion resting on a rock whilst moving into the poses. I also sometimes have the urge to meow or moo.

I scoffed when I heard people say they are addicted to yoga. I scoff no more. I am so addicted I am considering putting a post on trip advisor to see if there any yoga studio's nearby whilst I am on holiday in Italy. Is this bad? I think it is definitely a sign of addictive behaviour. Amendment: my husband has just kindly pointed out that if there were classes, they would be in Italian. Unless I have the ability to learn animal names in Italian (I don't) yoga classes whilst in Italy is not going to happen. I am going to investigate putting a yoga dvd on my ipad and doing some mini classes in my hotel rooms. Or perhaps I could decamp to the local piazza and do some mountain poses near the fountain whilst licking my gelati cone?

I am so addicted I find myself edging towards the yoga magazine section in my local news agency. I haven't yet succumbed and bought one, however I have stolen glances at fellow yogini's (yes, this is what we are called apparently) flipping through these magazines and watched in envy as they have purchased these magazines and stride off to no doubt sip green tea. I have no idea what is in a yoga magazine but am sure they would induce a feeling of calm whilst flicking through the pages.

I am so addicted to yoga I am now rearranging my social calendar around my yoga classes. This is a first for me as usually exercise is the first thing to be cancelled in favor of drinking, eating or doing nothing. If I miss a class I get tetchy (ready crabby) and my husband now casually drops into the conversation 'Oh, you have to miss your class on Tuesday night? I think there's a yoga flow on Wednesday morning if you check the schedule but I'm just guessing'. My husband realises the benefits of yoga - happy calm yogini=peaceful untroubled home life.

No comments:

Post a Comment